Thursday, December 29, 2011

Arab Horse Farm Tour

I love horses. I haven't owned one in many years, but I still love to see them and be around them. I read in the paper that some of the fancy schmancy Arab Horse Farms in North Scottsdale were having some tours/open houses over the next four days. I went to one this afternoon with my friend Lezlee.
The barn was huge beautiful and amazing. The horses there are all nationally ranked competitive horses. There were beautiful to look at. We walked around and admired them, fed a few of them carrots and petted them. I don't know if it was Lezlee's perfume or what, but several of them really were sniffing at Lezlee and nuzzling her. One decided they wanted to take a bite of her coat. I have to say it was pretty funny. We had trouble getting her coat out from between his teeth, but we finally succeeded.
Here are some of the showy beauties.







I think of arabs as the show girls of the horse world. They can be pretty flashy. After walking around they had a demo and put of few of their champions through their paces. They rode in all different styles and also showed in arab costume and at halter. They were beautiful to see.
They told us that most show horse have about 5 or 6 years of an active show career. There was one stallion that was a legend that they were happy to share with us. His name is Shameless and he has been actively showing and winning national championships since he was 2. He is now 19. He was awesome! This is him.
This is an annual event. You should check it out sometime. And best of all, it's all free!

No comments: