Friday, September 2, 2011

Hike along the West Fork, Oak Creek Canyon

I have been a slug all summer. Don't like to hike in the heat. Don't make me. Won't do it. But I have been getting tired off being shut up inside all summer. I talked to Cindy. Surely it would be cooler up north? So we planned a hike in Sedona today. But as it got closer, it was still over 110 in Phoenix. Which would mean 100 in Sedona. Too hot for me.
But when we got to the ranger station, we were directed to the West Fork trail along Oak Creek Canyon. It was shady, 5500 ft in elevation and it was overcast. Win, win, win. And we crossed the beautiful creek 13 times. It was great to be outside again. And so fun to discover this trail, the most popular in the state according to the lady who took our 9$ parking fee.


Lots of nice water.

Beautiful scenery.



See this undercut cliff? There were people sitting on top right at the edge.

Lunch stop.

My feet enjoyed the cool water!

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Definitely a win-win with the weather. Fun trip today. It was a perfect hike - long but not hard. Thanks for planning it.

Lulu's Heritage Soapworks said...

Go back in October and you will be blown away with the fall foliage.

Bandanamom said...

I'm pretty sure this is the hike the Bishop and his family are always doing. When the water is high, you're wading in pretty deep I think. It runs really close to their cabin.