Monday, September 26, 2011

End of the Heat Potluck

Back in August, I decided I needed something to look forward to. It was tooooo dang hot. So I planned a potluck at a local park for the end of summer, planning that the heat would have abated enough that we could enjoy being outside in the evening. I had also been reading a lot lately about Super Foods. Foods that are supposed to be especially nutritionally dense. A little more bang for your buck, so to speak. So I gave folks a list of about 20 super foods and told them to bring a dish using one or more of the super food ingredients.
I invited people from church, work, friends. I didn't get a count, but I think there were easily 40 or so people there tonight. It was a lot of fun and I appreciate everyone going along with the super food theme. The photo above are the whole wheat sticky buns I made. They have whole grains, cinnamon, nuts and raisins. All of which are super foods! And they were delicious. I wasn't sure they were going to turn out, so I made regular cinnamon rolls too.

I also made some less fattening wraps. They had whole wheat tortillas, spinach, turkey, bell peppers, and either apples or cranberries in them. All super foods. They also had a little cream cheese, some havarti and the fruit was in chutney form, so some spices.
This photo had me rolling on the floor. If you make it bigger, you can see Lindsey giving me the laser beam, evil eye. She hated the last photo I posted of her and she was wary.

Helle, Steven and Bella.

Friends from work, Lynnora, Beth and Jet.

Cindy and Mamie.

Hailey, Craig, Roman and Melanie.

Tanner and Brother Harrison.
A good time was had by all. We had a passle of kids and playground handy, so it worked out great. It was one of the easiest get togethers I've organized! We'll have to do it again soon.

We had a whole array of foods. It worked out in the way that potlucks usually work out.

7 comments:

Cynthia said...

That was really a fun evening. I'll bet there were more than 40 people there. There had to have been at least 40 kids from the group playing on the playground. Good food too. That was a great theme for the potluck. The evening felt like it really was the "end of the heat". I hope the weather forecast for warmer days this week is wrong.

Rejeana B said...

Looks like everything turned out great! Sorry we weren't able to be there, but we certainly enjoyed our time with Don, Doris and their family.
I'm so glad you keep us up to speed with your blog! Otherwise, we'd totally lose track of each other, right?
Hope to see you soon.

Suzanne Barker said...

Well Cindy, I did a little counting just now and I think we had 55! That includes all the little munchkins.
And Rejeana, I'm glad you were able to go to see Don and Doris and all. We will have to plan something to get together soon.

whitesilkpurse said...

This looks like it was very fun. I love the "theme" too. You need to post the list of superfoods!

Suzanne Barker said...

Dana, I've pitched my original list but here are what I remember:
Whole grains
Beans
Sea Salt
Olive Oil
Berries
Avocados
mushrooms
sweet potatoes
fish
turkey
onions
peppers
spinach (dark leafy greens)
apples
pomegranite
dark chocolate
cinnamon

Anonymous said...

wish I could have been there, better yet, wish the heat had ended!!!

Unknown said...

It was so fun. Thanks for making sure I knew about it on Sunday - glad I didn't miss out.