Saturday, August 14, 2010

First Ever Do it yourself Culinary Tour

Back in February, Penny, Beth and I went to Tucson on a culinary tour the barrio in Tucson. It was a commercial trip through Gray Line Tours. It was and gave me a lot of ideas.....
how fun it would be to do our own culinary tour and all the different ways there would be to do it.
As I talked about it at work, some of the girls got interested and wanted me to plan one. So I did, but when it got down to it all but one had bailed for one reason or another. Beth was already on board from work and she brought along her husband, Jet. Penny came again, so we had the perfect foursome.


We were going to have appetizers, salad, main dish and dessert. The chose places where I really liked that particular dish at that particular restaurant. I was worried that the places that had waiters, might get mad at us for taking up a table and only ordering one thing. So I called ahead, and the two places that I was worried about were very gracious and said no problem.

So we started out at Postino's on Central. Here are Penny, Jet and Beth awaiting our bruschetta sampling.
The food comes and we are enjoying everything very much. The food is good. That is why we are there. When there were only a few pieces left, I remembered I wanted to take pictures. So here are the appetizers before the last pieces disappeared.



I love the wedge salad at Smashburger. It's lettuce, blue cheese, bacon, onion, tomatoes. And here it is, practically fast food, and they were gracious enough to take a salad divide it into four and serve it up on plates for us! But I forgot to take a picture again! Here are our empty plates! And again the wait staff was wonderful.


The we went to FEZ. FEZ has a lot of good food. I especially love their hamburgers and sweet potato fries. So we got the tangier burger. Again they were kind enough to split it into four and serve it up. Again I forgot to take a photo! Beth was the only one with any left before I remembered. Mine was long gone.


Then we went to Le Grand Orange for dessert. Here we decided to pick four different desserts and then cut them up and share so we could all taste. It was a good strategy, but we were pretty full by then and the desserts were rich. Maybe that is why I finally got a photo before the food was all gone! We have a chocolate, cashew Carmel bar, red velvet cake, ooey gooey cupcake and chocolate peanut butter monster cake.
It was really a fun day. We think you need to go for a drive between courses to give you time to digest and eat some more! Kudos to all the kind wait staff who egged us on.
We came up with lots of ideas to do this again. Maybe all different kinds of Asian food? Or dare you to eat this food? Or order the third thing on every menu? Or a section of town? Or compare tacos or pizza or something across restaurant's? The ideas could just go on and on. It was a blast and I am sure we will do it again!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clever idea! Much better than my day of travel & vomiting!

whitesilkpurse said...

What a fun idea! It would be fun to have each participant pick up something (takeout) and share at someone's home too!

Bandanamom said...

OK next time, I'm so in on this! :)