Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Crater Lake

I was in Oregon last week visiting my friend Susan. One of the things we did was go to Crater Lake National Park. I had been there once before, briefly, when I was about 13. I always thought that it was a volcano that had blown, left a crater and then a lake formed. Well that is only sort of the truth. There are several volcanoes in the area. What happened, thousands of years ago, is that some of the surrounding volcanoes blew. There was sort of a common pool of lava that centered under this mountain. When the lava was decreased by the other eruptions, the peak collapsed in on itself because there was nothing under it to support it anymore. The lake was formed by rain water falling into this hole over the eons. The result is an almost perfectly circular calm lake with beautiful reflections. It is almost 2000 ft. deep in the deepest area. And yes it really is that blue.

I loved the sunset and full moon and tried to get a few photos with them. These were some of the better ones. I loved that you could see mountain range after mountain range in this one.













I thought this log looked like a big lizard or a small dragon!



















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow beautiful, thanks for the lesson!